Take the First Step: Invest in your Future
When we we’re young, depending on the family or environment we grow up with, proper protection like life Insurance, Health Insurance and Investment are not commonly discussed. We are unaware of its benefits – to us and especially to our family.
I was skeptical also about it because of hearsays from relatives and friends. I do have Health Care /Medical especially when I was employed here in the Philippines and abroad, but I’m not aware of its full potential. I realized it sooner when I attended Free Financial Literacy class of IMG in Makati office how you can properly build up strong Financial Foundation.
As an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) myself, I was enlightened by the great information I learned from the class. Most probably, it not all, and by first-hand experience, OFW’s go home without enough savings and sometimes still have recurring debt. I have known some at the age of 60 still working overseas to support his family and extended families. What happened you may asked? Also, remembering this scenario made me think, what my life would be at the age of 60? Am I still working or enjoying the remaining days of my life?
The phenomena of OFW’s going home broke, most probably due to underlying factors:
- No Proper or Strong Financial Foundation of both OFW and Family.
- Without it proper Financial foundation, both OFW and family may opt to overspending that could result of having no savings and worst case scenario, fall into debt.
- Change of Life style or habit
- Admit it or not, we opt to purchase something we don’t have before when we are young like shoes, etc. Sometimes peer pressure is the common culprit and influence of mass media.
- Manana habit or Procrastination
- One of the culprit also is being lazy and having to adapt the habits of “mamaya na, saka na yan pag mas Malaki na sweldo ko”. Believe me if you cannot save small amount now how could you in the future. Hope you could.
Yes! We can take charge of our future by investing in Financial Education and right discipline. It could be hard at first but with dedication and perseverance – goal is achievable. Remember that you and your family’s future is not in the hands of others, but in your hands.
Remember that to attain financial independence you must have discipline, dedication and perseverance. List down your goal and stick with it. Read Books and attend Financial Literacy Class (Free or Paid). Apply the knowledge that you learned from it. Learn how to save and invest the right way.
As for me, I could have retire earlier if I have known how to save and invest the right way earlier. But is not too late to learn. I suggest to keep on learning and attend financial literacy class at IMG and learn the following:
- 6 Steps to Financial Security
- How to Prepare for your financial future: X-Curve Concept
- How Money Works (The Rule of 72)
- Prosperity Formula
- How to Build Wealth – the safe and correct way
- Learn how to beat inflation
Strong Financial Foundation could lead into a better future for you and your family. Don’t procrastinate and start now. Congrats if you already did! You are in the right tract. Share also to your family and friends what you had learn. “Di ba sharing is good”.
Move Forward! Invest in your Future and Take Action!
Add me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mario.manahan.9
The Future – Realization and Its Challenges
In the world where everything seems moving so fast, so as our age. Isn’t it? Someday we will feel all of the sudden that we cannot do the things we usually do. Our body will eventually weaken as we continue to age. Come to think of it – What lies ahead in the future? Are we prepared for the challenging times ahead or are we not? What if we live too long, who will take care of us? What if we die too young who will take care of our family once were gone? Without preparation, whether we like or not most of us will face seemingly challenging life ahead like the following:
- Uncertain Labor Market
- Robotics, automation and powerful software have been developed which causes unemployment.
- Low Savings and High Debt
- Without proper financial knowledge we have to work beyond 65 years of age in order to survive
- High Cost of Education
- Apparently we are experiencing it every year.
- Increasing Cost of Living and the like
THE SOLUTION: PREPARATION IS THE KEY – TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR FUTURE
Our future is in our hand – we must take control by educating ourselves in all aspects of personal finance. It is not easy but we must. Know our priority and understand the building blocks of a solid financial foundation like the following:
- Increase Cash Flow
- Proper identification of wants and needs, additional income through online selling and the like
- Health Care (Long Term and Short Term Care)
- Get appropriate health care coverage to ensure proper protection in case of serious sickness or health problem.
- Protection/Life Insurance
- Ensure proper protection in the event of premature death. If this happens, then you have instant money to pay off any responsibilities and liabilities left behind.
- Manage and Eliminate Debts
- Pay more than minimum and reduce your debt sooner. Debt can turn into a disease and could control life and diminish happiness and limit freedom. Getting out of debt maybe one of the hardest thing to do and it takes time and effort. But you must persevere because you can never be truly free until you are debt free. Live within your means.
- Emergency Fund
- Set aside at least 3-6 months’ income to help cope with emergencies and unexpected circumstances like job loss, business not going well, Home or car repairs, illness, disaster, etc.
- Save and make long-term investments for retirement and educational needs of your children. Remember to save and invest the right way.
We must consider our healthcare and protection as a priority. For example you get sick, disabled or die suddenly, your savings might not last very long. It is advisable that we get long-term healthcare and life insurance as our investments. Having equipped with strong financial education and foundation is a must to build and secure our financial future.
Proper Financial Education and discipline will take care of us and our family’s future when time arises such as if we live too long or we die too young. This will also prepare ourselves when we retire and not to be dependent on someone else’s income. Invest in our future by acquiring Financial Education, exercise discipline and apply the knowledge you learn.
As Bill Gates once said, “If you were born poor, it is not a mistake; but if you die poor, it is a mistake. Remember that financial education is not just for the wealthy – it’s for everyone.
Credits to “The Secret to Saving & Building Your Future” book.